tire prep

General Micro Sprint Racing Discussion

tire prep

Postby jimmy wells » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:09 am

Please explain why you think that tire prep should or shouldn't be illegal to use.
jimmy wells

Reputation point: 0

Re: tire prep

Postby ARACER » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:35 am

SOME THINK WITH THE COST OF TIRE PREP ITS UNFAIR TO LOWER BUDGET TEAMS. I HERE OF A GUY RUNNING POWRI LAST YEAR SPENDING 800.00 ON TREATED TIRES FOR THE 66 AT SIR. BUT TO ME WITH OR WITHOUT TIRE PREP THE GUY WITH THE MOST MONEY WINS. HE HAS TO BE A GOOD DRIVER ALSO, BUT SPENDING MONEY ON TREATED TIRES OR BUYING A TRAILER LOAD OF NEW TIRES IS WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN.

WHILE I'M HERE WHAT ABOUT THE GUYS BUILDING THESES WAY TO BIG ENGINES AGAIN DEEP POCKETS IS THE WINNER. LOOK AROUND AT THE RACING OF ANY KIND MONEY MONEY MONEY. WE ALL SPEND IT AND NOW WITH THE TRACKS THE WAY THEY ARE WITH THE DRIVER AGE RULES WE GET RAN OVER BY A 11 YEAR OLD KID FRESH OUT OF A QUARTER MIDGET WITH DAD AND GRANDPA THINKING THEY HAVE THE NEXT JEFF GORDON TELLING HIM TO GET TO THE FRONT WHATEVER IT TAKES. WHAT HAPPENED TO KIDS RACING IN A RESTRICTOR CLASS FOR A WHILE NO GLORY THERE FOR DAD AND GRANDPA. SO WITH THAT SAID I THINK WE SHOULD THROW OUT ALL THE RULES AND RUN 1000 CC ENGINES WITH TREATED TIRES ON 1/2 MILE TRACKS WIDE OPEN AND SEE WHERE THE KIDS WOULD BE AT THE END WITH THERE PREPPED TIRES SMOKING AND BURNING RUBBER.

THANK YOU FOR READING JEFF MAXWELL
ARACER
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Racing21d » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:28 am

Could agree more with jeff its gettin rediculous its just like anything it just becomes a money game anymore look at the 305 sprints they run out east used to b an economical way for guys without big money backing they to run a sprint car now instead of a $2000 motor 15 grand for competative motor. And thats like I kno of a couple guys in powri (no names) that run a 2 mil 750 and they get away with it because they dont tech at all and because the motors look identical. sorry for gettim off.subject back to the question I think treated tires should b illegal not everyone can afford to spend that kind of cash racing used to b about who was a better driver now its all about who spends the most money really takes the fun out of it for us lower budget guys who honeatly could prob drive as good if not better than the big money guys we just cant afford it.
Racing21d
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

Postby schnapy2107 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:47 am

First off, I'll go ahead and admit I enjoy the tire doping. I don't see it as "an unfair advantage," for the rich. In my own opinion, it's a subject that many people in the micro racing don't quite understand. If you dont understand tire doping and tire maintenance take some time and effort to learn about it. Tire prep isn't going to make your career or break it. It's just another tuning device on the racecar to get you to the front. Many of which complain about due to the fact they don't have any knowledge about it and they're intimidated. For those that understand what they're doing know that doping your tires can not only improve traction but improve the life of your tires. Tires are expensive! So why wouldn't you try to take care of your tires to get an extra night or two out of them? It takes proper maintenance and time to take care of that single motor you have spent thousands of dollars on! I'm willing to bet that over 50% of people racing talk to their engine man regularly to keep it in top notch form. All you need to do is talk to someone with experience treating tires.

As for making tire prep illegal... Might as well make tire siping, grooving, and grinding illegal aswell. Because we all know it costs money to buy tools for this. Also, if treating tires is illegal and enforced. Those that do have the money will spend it on treatments that are undetectable, and the price goes up again. Your best bet is to learn how to take care of your tires on your own. You'll be better in the long run... and you'll be ten times more satisfied when you win on your own treated tires against the big boys!

BTW if it wasn't for the low dollar guys coming up with idea's to keep up with the money boys in motorsports, there would only be five snot nosed rich kids racing... and I'd be playing ping pong on the weekends! to each is their own though!?
In it to, to WIN it!
schnapy2107
Rookie
Rookie

Postby schnapy2107 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:00 pm

on a side note, I forgot to mention if Power I doesn't tech, how could you know how big someone's motor is...
In it to, to WIN it!
schnapy2107
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ARACER » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:28 pm

schnapy2107 wrote:on a side note, I forgot to mention if Power I doesn't tech, how could you know how big someone's motor is...

POWRI ONLY WANTS YOUR MONEY THEY DO NOT CAR IF THE MOTORS ARE LEGAL OR NOT. THE SAME GOES FOR THE LOCAL TRACKS AS WELL WHEN THEY STARTED LETTING 11 YEAR OLD KIDS RACE IN THE TOP CLASS THEY HAVE SHOWN WHAT THEY REALLY CARE ABOUT ITS THE MONEY. THEY WILL LET A DOG RACE IF HE PAID HIS ENTRY FEES.

THANKS YOU JEFF MAXWELL #87
ARACER
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Racing21d » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Cause 1 I kno the guy who does it and 2 I kno the guy who builds his motors! Ur exactly right powri just wants ur money thats it! I agree that u need to learn to prep ur tires urself but there is a line u have to draw thats the point there has to b some kind of guidelines there eventually has to b a stopping point or ull lose us lower budget guys cause we kno we cant compete
Racing21d
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

Postby theBUS71h » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:12 pm

I know a few people got popped in the state of Indiana over the last year or two for doing it, and they should have been. Transmission fluid was even used to soak them in one instance that I can remember. The only way to ban it completely is go directly to Hoosier, and American Racer, and durometer 20 tires each, and get a range that it should be in. If someone rolls out with a 35 on the right rear, and it durometers out at a RD12, then you have a problem. Teching this isn't difficult either, do it before the feature, that way there is no complaining about the "tire being to hot" after the feature.

That's just the basic soaking though, there isn't a way to check at the track for the good stuff all the professionals that cheat use. After the World 100 feature at Eldora, they pull the top 3's tires, along with two randoms, and send them off for chemical analysis as the durometer test doesn't work, because it doesn't change the actual hardness of the tire, just how fast it comes in, and how long it can control that temperature. You aren't going to stop that kind of cheating on this level no matter what you do. But in order to do it, someone really has to have the equipment to do it right, a rotisserie, the proper rollers, and the right technique, and before anybody asks, I've never soaked a tire in my life, but I know of a few people that have done it before.

I have said this for years about Powri, but nobody seems to listen to me. Powri's goal for the micro sprints is to pay for the midget races they have, just like the Shootout is for no other reason than to pay for the Chili Bowl. I cannot blame Powri, and i've only been to a couple of their shows, but they are very well run, and they pay OK, but they do not under any circumstances have the "best interests of micro sprint racing" in their minds. If they did, they wouldn't allow 2 Mil Kawi 636's to run, along with 2 Mil Suzuki 750s.
Billy Rowlee
TJ Racing Oil - Let It Live - http://www.tjracingoil.com
Easy Kleen - Don't you wanna shine in victory lane? - http://www.gofastkleeneasy.com
theBUS71h
Points Champion
Points Champion

Reputation point: 33

Postby microsprint15 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:24 pm

This is probably going to make some people mad, but...

If the so called "Low Budget" racers would spend more time learning their cars, watching and truely identifying the reason the "Fast Guys" are fast, and keeping up with general maintenance and less time on here whining about "so and so's" big engine they would be way faster and more competitive.

I am a guy who has a certain budget to live on myself. I have 1 car, 1 stock bore engine, and a tiny little trailer. I ran 25 races last season on 4 "Spec" RR tires. I managed to pick up 5 feature wins and finish 2nd in the season standings by a mere 6 points. Since I live in Indiana, and it costs so much for fuel, I could only afford to race with POWRi a few times last season. I got beat. I got beat by better set-ups, better drivers, and many other tangebile factors that presented themselves that night. Guess what? That only makes me want to work harder to get to the front and beat those guys.

The fact of the matter is: Stock Motors, Hard Tires, Tiny Wings...whatever rules you think you want put into place...The Fast Guys will still be the Fast Guys!

Quit worrying about everyone's Big Engines and Huge Trailers and focus on your own program. You will probably be suprised at how much faster you can be.

-Ryan Leek
microsprint15
Feature Winner
Feature Winner

Reputation point: 16

Postby Racing21d » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:55 pm

I agree with u ryan I got a stock motor, open trailer, old bailey chassis and an +A maintenance program I am new to the micros ive been around Modified for years Im always wanting to learn more and try harder and harder ive seen a lot of good drivers i kno the effects of having a sponsored ride with all the good stuff Ive seen it yr after yr. the thing with treating the tires is i kno people who swear by it and I kno people that said it really never made a difference and most guys r very fast!!!
Racing21d
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

Postby shawntiggity » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Seriously, you guys act like tire prep is new it has been around for years. Cheating? Only if there is a rule about it! Joe blow who runs mid pack week in week out can't put a set of lil johnnys prepped tires on and go out and win a powri race. He may pass one car that he couldn't have before at a regular club race at best. Fast guys are fast and they will be fast no matter what period. I spent way over my budget last year on racing good engine, good shocks, good chassis, new tires, so on and so forth did I do any better than I did in my older cars not really. I had a few good nights but that's because I got lucky and hit the set up right on the nose. I beat a few guys that everyone alleges to be cheaters. I was probably a cheater too because I did well that night in some peoples eyes. I have been reading on max dirt the last month and when did we all become cry babies.

Why hate on powri? They are the NASCAR of micro sprints right now. Your not Gonna have your local late model stock car guy go to Bristol and expect to compete right? I mean they had a vision and made it work its a business. If they dont make money they close the doors. They get 45 plus micros a race. Do all 45 guys think they can win? No but they go, have fun, hang out with friends. You have the option to go and spend money or stay home. That's your choice. Racing is expensive. My best memories of racing are when we rolled up in our pos van, open trailer, antique factor one with a Honda f2 yea f2 not f3 and led 19 of the 20 lap feature before we blew up. Guess what guys it was a powri race and I wasnt cheating.
Stop crying, pull up your pink panties, and go race geez
SAWYER CHASSIS, KBC Graphics
INFINITY RACING SHOCKS,
OSR RACING ENGINES R6R YAMAHA osrbikes.com
LIGHTNING WINGS
GUHL MOTORS
SPARCO
shawntiggity
Points Runner Up
Points Runner Up

Postby shawntiggity » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:03 pm

As a matter of fact, I'm gonna knock the dust off the old factor one throw it together and see if someone like Dereck King will jump in and drive it. I will guarantee it to be right up front without prepped tires without being 2 mill over just a good set up from a crew that knows these cars inside out and driver that is fast and consistent no matter what he's in
SAWYER CHASSIS, KBC Graphics
INFINITY RACING SHOCKS,
OSR RACING ENGINES R6R YAMAHA osrbikes.com
LIGHTNING WINGS
GUHL MOTORS
SPARCO
shawntiggity
Points Runner Up
Points Runner Up

Postby Chad23 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:39 pm

I want to know who spent $800 on treated tires for the 66????? Ryans post is the truth and people should take his advice. We spend about 30 hours a week getting ready for a race weekend and have never been beat by a set of tires. People should read Ted's quote "All Races Are Won In The Garage"!!!!! Thats the bottom line!!!! :bang: :Deadhorse:
Gene Bartosik Motorsports
OSR Bikes and Motors
Engler Machine and Tool
Afco Shocks
Keizer Wheels
Jeff Billingsley Motorsports
Chad23
Points Champion
Points Champion

Reputation point: 67

Postby C&R Racing » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:23 pm

The chat room is open if anyone would like to vent...
Blane Culp #34
http://www.BlaneCulp.com
Easy Kleen, Hinchman Racewear, Momentum Suspensions, and Ryman Designs.
06, 07, 08, 10, 11, 12, and 13 MaximumDirt.com Fantasy Racing Champ
Super Fun Guy to Hang Out With
Pro Broomer and Mopper
C&R Racing

Reputation point: 65

Postby tobias101 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:24 am

I've got some stuff in the trailer that will fire a kart tire off just by looking at it wrong. It's going to kill the tire but that's an acceptable cost of winning in karts.

The internal stuff is way too hard to detect. Yep, they pull the top 3 from the World 100 and send them for testing...wonder what that costs?

The duro test is way too easy to mess up. I can change the duro reading a few points by the pressure I use to read the tire.

Ban external prep and discourage internal prepping as much as possible.

Tobias
tobias101
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

Next

Return to General Discussion