hitting rev limiter at low rpm

Discuss Technical things here, gearing, tires, motors, chassis, ect.

hitting rev limiter at low rpm

Postby atauber » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:08 pm

I have a Suzuki 04-05 600. The problem started at a practice session. I run 2 gears in it, and in 2nd i was hitting the rev limiter at only about 4500rpm. When i went in, I put it in neutral and it revs up just fine. It it only an issue in 2nd.

So basically im thinking it is one of 3 things. 1. the clutch needs replaced (i did that anyways just to freshen it up) 2. the shift dogs or forks need replace..... ummmm darn that would suck. or 3. there is something up with fuel delivery (what im hoping is the problem),

Are there any other ideas on what the issue could be? It is not overheating. Im new to the sport and learning a lot, and this is a very strong engine. It seems to me that it shifts in and out of gear fairly easy. Idk if that is common since ive only driven one other car. Thank you!
atauber

Re: hitting rev limiter at low rpm

Postby billy7312 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:09 pm

You have carbs or injection. If injection is it electronic or mechanical. Is popping and cracking or blubbering? Depending on your
setup you could be getting too much fuel or not enough. Really sounds like a fuel issue to me. Billy
billy7312
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby atauber » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:13 pm

EFI. Its not a popping or cracking. I guess blubbering you can say haha. Just under powered. Maybe adjust the regulator?
atauber

Postby billy7312 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:42 am

Most likely is a fuel problem. If you have a gauge on the fuel system, back the pressure off a
couple pounds at a time to see if it starts running better. You also may have some nozzles sticking
open at high speed and needing cleaned or maybe even nozzles with the magnets going bad.
I don't think it sounds like clutch but you might drain a bit of oil out of the motor to see if there
is any filings in it. That would indicate the clutch is bad.
billy7312
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby atauber » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:38 pm

thanks, thats what i am hoping. And hopefully we can all get going back on the track soon. This virus has put everything on the back burner
atauber

Postby billy7312 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:36 pm

Just for the hell of it you might want to check out your battery and charging system. I have
had several times where we thought there was a problem your fighting and fighting to only
figure out there just was not enough power left in the battery. With efi there is a lot of things
that eat up battery life such as a short in a circuit. Billy
billy7312
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby atauber » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:54 pm

I actually just got a new battery a few days ago. Thanks for your replies. At least I feel like I'm on the right path now. When I'm able to get out there I'll confirm the issue, but I hope this figures it all out
atauber

Postby billy7312 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:50 pm

It will most likely end being something unbelievably simple. Just like when your struggling getting
a good setup on a car thinking you have a problem in the rear of the car and after fighting it for
half the season you find that the problem has been in the front end all the time. Billy
billy7312
Wannabe
Wannabe

Return to Technical Q&A